A diamond cut that will always be lauded for its timeless appeal is the cushion cut diamond. Born with a uniquely different style of cut, which bespeaks of its intricate nature, the cushion cut diamond is a beautiful bonding of the traditional and contemporary. The name itself is enough to signify the subtle nature of the cut. Resembling the look and soft nature of a pillow or cushion, the cushion cut as it has thus been named, is either square or rectangular in shape with rounded corners. They are also known by the name ‘candlelight diamond’.
The 19th century saw traces of the cushion cut diamond. Due to the fact that it was basically a cross between the old mine cut and the
modern oval cut, they were considered to be the most sought after diamond cuts in the 19th century. They continued to climb the ladder of popularity well into the 20th century. Ever since the cushion cuts took birth, it underwent a series of transformation thanks to the launching of new technologies and sophisticated tools. Today, we have a beautiful diamond, uniquely styled and meticulously created. It is also one of the most sought after cuts, we have today.
The cushion cut possess an average number of 60 facets and may come in either square or rectangular shape. A cushion cut diamond of length-to-width ratio of 1.0 is considered the most ideal. Those which have a ratio higher than 1.05 bears the rectangular shape.
Fascinating Facts about Cushion Cut Diamond:
Tips to Buy a Cushion Diamond:
- The cushion cut is considered to be the oldest of all the fancy cut diamonds. It is apparently over 300 years old.
- It comes in a wide variety of facet patterns and are known either as ‘Cushion Brilliant’,or ‘Modified Cushion Brilliant’
- The soft edges of a cushion cut diamond is blessed with a unique ability to capture and return a wide spectrum of candlelight colors.
- The ‘sparkling water’ and the ‘crushes ice’ effect is a common occurrence in a modern cushion cuts.
- If a cushion cut has large facets and because of this, the inclusions and blemishes present in the stone become a lot more prominent.
- Because of its rounded edges, the cushion diamonds are not prone to chipping nor does it pose as an obstacle in one’s day to day activities.
- The cushion has been originally designed to deliver sparkle and shimmer under the effect of candlelight.
Cushion cut diamond is an ideal choice for someone who is looking for an eye-catchy bling. Since the cushion cut diamond has large facets, it will highlight even the slightest tints of color, inclusions and blemishes present. Hence, it is recommended to go for a cushion cut diamond of high quality and grades. Lastly, ensure that you buy cushion cut diamond that has been certified by well established laboratories like EGL, AGS, IGI, IGL and GIA.